Thursday, June 27, 2013

Lincoln Plaza


Hello Coordinators,

Here at Lincoln Plaza, besides avoiding the heat as of mid week, we have enjoyed playing various sports and some crafts. Two weeks ago I assigned my students a special assignment in the computer lab.  I found out that one of my high school students will be finishing school this summer and what brought joy to my heart is that this student is only a junior.  Wow!

This very highly intelligent student made me realize that at such a young age, they should have ideas of what to do when they grow up.  When I asked her about her future education, college came into the conversation...I asked her about colleges and she said she was going to work in a packing house with her mom because making money is more important.

So what I developed was a worksheet where the students from 6th and up are to research 3 colleges and 3 jobs that interest them...they must fill out the worksheet along with a paragraph on each career option and why they picked it, not just because it offers a lot of money either. We have been working on this for a while now and many of them have thought about colleges especially my high school students.

This week we also made some tulips because many kept asking if I knew how to make flowers out of felt like the ones we did for mother's day.  So I showed the student's how to make tulips from felt and taught them how to create it by finding a template and being creative all around.  Enjoy!