Monday, July 1, 2013

Cottonwood Creek

Hello All!

We have been having a good time here at Cottonwood Creek.
 
Recently, we have been working out of the power play campaign book. One of the activities that we worked on was "powerful art" project. I explained it to the children and then let them express themselves by painting, writing, or using clay to show what their favorite healthy food was or why it was important to stay active and eat healthy. This only took us a da,y but the next day the kids continued to share amongst themselves about how much they liked to be outside in the playground and how they loved to eat peaches, mangos,oranges, and watermelon with chili powder.  So I decided to go with all this excitement and talk about eating healthy and found a printout of a tree with blank boxes like a cause effect worksheet.
 
We started by saying before I grow up ______ and on the first box they said: before I grow up I have to ______ (example: eat healthy). Then, they would say what was some of their favorite healthy food(s) is.
 
On the next box they would draw some of the favorite foods. The box that followed read: I have to ______ (example: be active). They would also list some of the ways they could do that. On the following box they would draw the favorite way they like to play.
 
Lastly, they would say what they will be when they're all grown up because of the healthy choices they made!!  I decided to reward them on how super of a week we had that I brought them what they had been talking about earlier in the week! I chopped up about eight peaches and a couple of the kids brought over the chili powder they had been talking about.
 
To finish the week, we had a movie day on Friday!