Thursday, February 21, 2013

Lincoln Plaza


Hello Coordinators,

Last week we began our St. Patrick’s Day preparation crafts.  However, upon my homework hour I noticed many of my students have been reading for about 20 minutes a day and when they begin to read I noticed many of them just read and expected me to sign their paper that they read.

So when I got home and watched wrestling, the WWE began promoting this new campaign called the superstar reading challenge.  Upon doing some research I noticed that it was several of the wrestlers involved and created a profile where they list their favorite books and encourage reading such as, when they travel that’s all they do.

One of the wrestlers who is known as a bad guy, pretty much made a valid point, that your imagination can take you anywhere you want to go as long as you read.  So this week if the website goes up again from the WWE site, I will make sure all of my kids sign up and you can read the books online and it does keep a record of how many books you read from now until Wrestlemania. WOW!!!, how cool is that!  The good thing about this campaign is when you reach a certain amount of books read you enter a drawing to win tickets to go to wrestlemania or have a superstar go to your school.  As soon as the website is up I will share the link with all of you.

This week we are also beginning to take down all of our Valentine’s Day crafts and prep our computer room with St. Patrick’s Day crafts.  My students are eager to learn new crafts and are willing to show off their sewing techniques which are what we will be doing this week.  We will be doing a few key chains out of felt along with a few shamrocks.  Last week we did a few St. Patrick’s Day crafts like shamrocks and bookmarks which lead me to think about the reading campaign.