Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Lincoln Plaza


Hello Coordinators/Educators,
 
After noticing several behavioral issues here at Lincoln Plaza, I have decided to share my techniques with all of you especially dealing with young adults.  I find that working with young adults (grades 6 and up), they need to be given a much wider selection of options along with consequences.  This technique happens to work with my younger grades as well because it helps them develop responsibility for their actions.  When I have a behavioral issue I ask the individual to step outside for a minute, reflect, think about what they did to merit the consequence and when they are ready to act like a mature young adult and be respectful, then they are welcomed back in.  For instance, a few weeks ago I had a student start testing my authority and was being disrespectful.
 
After trying to have a serious conversation about a serious topic, this young adult decided to act immature/disrespectful, so I asked him to step outside while the rest of us decided to have a serious conversation and when he was ready to take things serious he was welcomed back in.  As he was walking out he responded with “well I am not coming back.”  Later his mother came to ask why his son was upset and that he was trying to tell her what the situation was but he couldn’t say it because he knew he would get in trouble at home.  After I explained to his mother the situation and what had happened, she came back with her son and he apologized for his actions and that it wouldn’t happen again.  He also apologized for past incidents and did say that he would respect me not only as an adult but as a teacher.
 
Ultimately coordinators, we are all teachers in one way or another.  We aren’t just at our centers to just help students with homework or show them how to do arts and crafts...we TEACH these students how to be well balanced citizens who will eventually go to college and become good citizens of our communities as adults.  Since coming to Lincoln Plaza, I have seen a few of my students evolve into positive role models for the younger students.
 
Just the other day I had a student tell me that she would like to be a teacher because the techniques I showed her to help her little brother worked.  This student brightened my day and its moments like these that I believe we need to appreciate.  If a student is having a hard time reading it helps when we go that extra mile in giving them other resources so they can read, write, and have a better appreciation for learning.  After all, we are guiding the future leaders of tomorrow.
 
So next time you're confronted with a behavioral issue, recap on what options you have at your disposal.  When students understand consequences...growth, maturity and life's learning lessons come into play and help mold them into better people.  I find that the option of only suspending a child doesn’t work alone because eventually we don’t adjust the behavior nor help them improve it.  Choices, reflection, communication and consequences are the keys for children to learn and adjust their behavior as they mature.
 
Have a pleasant day and remember, we aren’t just coordinators we are also educators.
 
Ms. Angie