Thursday, October 31, 2013

Lincoln Plaza


Hello Everyone,

Here at Lincoln Plaza we are thrilled and ready for Halloween because that just means its closer to Christmas.  Yea Christmas!!!  Our computer lab has been stripped of all of our Halloween crafts and is ready for the Christmas spirit to arrive.  This season we have decided to step it up a little in the arts/crafts department but as well as in the homework arena.

Speaking of homework, what I've noticed with my students is Tuesday is usually homework day for all of us. My students knock out what they can do on Monday and then Tuesday they all bring in their packets of homework and ask questions regarding what they can't finish. What I've come to find out is, my students struggle in Language Arts and they excel in Math.

So what I have developed, beginning in November, is a word of the week where the students learn a new word every week and I will do fun exercises to help their vocabulary grow. I might switch it up with a sentence of the week where there is a grammar error and they have to find the error and explain it.  I found that many of my students have been saying “ I win you” when we all know win is incorrect.  So starting with a sentence like this for example, I believe they will get into the habit of speaking proper English.  Practice makes perfect.  We aren't just coordinators we are also teachers and helping our students excel in academics and having the mindset of “I am going to college” at such a young age is critical.