Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Lincoln Plaza

 
This week at Lincoln Plaza our activities included a vast majority of crafts!!!! This week our goal was to start and finish a hand puppet!!!! Last week while I was looking for craft ideas for this week, I came across felt hand puppets. As I looked at it and decided whether it would be easy enough for my students, many of them begged for us to do this project. I did warn them that we would have to sew the puppet; many of them said they really wanted to do it. So, at Lincoln Plaza they are ready for the challenge of this lion felt hand puppet. I felt that the younger grades can do this project too, but I modified it for them instead of felt they will be using foam and paper bags. This way the younger grades can also participate in the hand puppet making and not feel left out. This week we are also doing some crowns and bedazzling them. The students here show their creativity and imagination as if they where a King or Queen and how would they want their crown to look like.
 
Since this week is the beginning of a new year, I felt that I had to have a discussion with my students about what they really liked about this past year. One thing that I am glad that happened was I came along onto this new team of coordinators and got blessed with students who are willing to take on any challenge handed to them and successfully complete it without giving up. Even though it was frustrating for them when it got tough they completed it because they learned from me that failure isn’t an option. I feel that this New Year will bring new challenges and I know my students will successfully complete them no matter how hard it might be. I believe that by doing this exercise with your students it not only helps you learn a little more about them, but it also gives you ideas of what projects you can do for the new year and if the level of difficulty should go up.
 
Hope everyone has an excellent New Year and a safe one.
 
“Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement; nothing can be done without hope and confidence.” – Helen Keller
 
This is what we have so far completed here at Lincoln Plaza!!!! it took only a day to complete the puppet!!!!!! Simba down and now a Teddy Bear to go!!!  Lincoln Plaza Kids Rock!!!